Monday, April 22, 2013

Hello Jeremy!

 I first met Jeremy here in Shreveport at The Makers Fair and immediately snatched up one of his prints.  
I adore all of his quirky, graphic creations, and thought ya'll would too!



1.Name, Astrology sign, and location please. 

Jeremy Johnson, Aquarius, Shreveport, Louisiana.
 

2.What are you currently working on?

My main focus over the past several years has been TOOMASOOBA – I design “curious creations and illustrations” and feature them on shirts, prints, and a ton of other items. I try hard to attend art fairs regionally (and beyond) as much as possible. It’s always a great experience to get immediate feedback from a crowd and use that to shape my art moving forward.I’m also working with some talented friends on a short TOOMASOOBA documentary, and we plan to have a grand unveiling party this summer. Should be fun! 



 3.Who are your favorite artists?

I love the work of (in no particular order) Jarrett J. Krosoczka, Keith Haring, Jim Henson, Scott C.,William Joyce, Todd Parr, J. Otto Siebold…the list goes on and on.


4.What's the best advice you ever received about your career choice?

You’ve got to be passionate about your work! A career in art or graphic design certainly isn’t the most lucrative, but I LOVE creating and feeling that buzz of electricity when I know I’ve made something cool. That’s what’s important. It’d be nice if one day I’m able to work on my illustration full-timebut if it doesn’t happen, I’ll always make art anyway, dang it!



 5.Favorite place(s) in your city? 

When the Texas Avenue Makers Fair rolls around, I’m always excited to hang with other artists and experience the growing local community. Don Juanz Baja Beach Tacos in Bossier is my favorite restaurant – I could eat those steak tacos every day.
And, after a long day, my couch also ranks as one of my favorite spots.



6.If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be? 
And while we're at it, what about a different era?

I finally took my first trip to NYC two years ago – and (if money were no object, of course) I would love to experience living there and soak in the non-stop awesomeness. And era-wise, um…the future. Does that count? I just want a jetpack, like any other normal person.

 
7.What do you usually mindlessly doodle? (do you have a picture of this?)

I typically get my best sketching done on long car trips and in meetings (don’t tell my boss). I draw odd little creatures and cartoon figures – some even make the cut and end up as TOOMASOOBA characters.

 


8.First website you peruse of the day?

I’m a huge pop culture and movie nerd, so The Onion’s avclub.com is usually my first stop of the day.

 

9.What's the worst movie you've ever seen, but secretly love?

It’s no secret – I love the movie Tremors. You can never go wrong with Kevin Bacon, Reba McEntire, the dad from Family Ties, and giant worms.

 
10.Any pets? Any kids?

No pets, no kids – although I am a proud uncle to both kiddos and pups. I like to visit them, spoil them, and then head off into the sunset!



Thank you so much Jeremy!  
You can find Toomasooba here
Jeremy's blog here 
And his Etsy store here

No comments:

Post a Comment