Thursday, June 27, 2013

Hello Staria!

 I've talked about my fondness for ceramics before, 
and Staria Stine's work is definitely something to fond over.
Her gorgeous work is organic and alive, and I want to touch it.
So tactile!


1. Name, Astrology sign, and location please.

Staria Stine, Virgo (sag. rising, gem. moon), Murphys, CA (foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains)






2. What are you currently working on?

I am always working on several things in my studio. I am constantly in tile production which keeps me fairly busy in all of it's processes of molding, drying, glazing, & firing (these are my bread & butters), I am also working on 2 large ceramic sculptures (seed forms) for a show coming in August and am in the glazing stage now, I have a few drawings that I am chipping away at, and I am continuing on a mixed media series titled "GMO Pollen-scapes"


3. Who are your favorite artists?

My favorites shift as I am kind of an image fiend (I have to feed this addiction several times a week, both artist-based and reference-based) but here are 3 longstanding inspirations to me...

Chris Natrop
http://www.chrisnatrop.com/


-another is Maya Lin
http://www.mayalin.com/



-another is El Anatsui
http://www.jackshainman.com/artist-images2.html


4. What's the best advice you ever received about your career choice?

That in order to make strong work, there are great risks that need to be taken. And If we don't take these risks in our work and explore outside of our comfort zone either through process or material, we risk/limit our opportunity for growth as an artist. "safe" choices make "safe" work. In other words, it is imperative that we allow room for ourselves to play so that we can get answers to the serious stuff.
Also, that in order to persevere, one must be persistent in their making both by successes & failures. Society is not begging for artists, no one is asking me to do what I do. I am responsible for keeping my own fire lit.



5. Favorite place(s) in your city?

Big Trees State Park (1,000 year old giant Sequoia Forest), Ebbett's Pass (9k feet elev. -expansive untouched wilderness filled with Alpine lakes, similar to the mountain-scapes you see in Lord of the Rings), Stories in Stones (amazing gemstones and fossils from around the world)



6. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be? And while we're at it, what about a different era?

Somewhere closer to the Equator where nature is lush and vibrant - where nature can thrive faster than we can destroy it (I hope). Era- probably at the height of the Art Nouveau period in Europe.




7. What do you usually mindlessly doodle? (do you have a picture of this?)

Overgrowing vines flourishing and climbing (usually overtaking text on a letter or note)




8. First website you peruse of the day?

Artdaily.org, NPR - science



9. What's the worst movie you've ever seen, but secretly love?

Oh no! tough question for me because I'm not so much a movie buff. I want to say "Goonies" or "Gremlins"



10. Any pets? Any kids?

This is where we stack up....1 black german shepherd "Peru", 2 cats "Mogwai" & "Naya", a bearded dragon "Hopper", and 12 chickens (yeah, all our ladies have names too)


Thank you Staria!
To see more go here

No comments:

Post a Comment