Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Meet Josh!

Josh George does some GORGEOUS things with paint. 
His work is overflowing with all kinds of amazing texture and color.  

Plus, I'm always a sucker for figurative art, especially when done so well.
Josh is also another Kansas City Art Institute connection.
(Go KCAI!)

1. Name, Astrology sign, and location please.


Josh George, Aries, Richmond, VA

2. What are you currently working on?



I just finished some large scale cityscapes for my NY show which is currently hanging at Tria Gallery till June 8th. I also just wrapped up my teaching duties at the University here in town, I taught a Senior Studio/Portfolio class and a Drawing and Painting techniques class for Juniors. Currently I am putting the finishing touches on a few urban nocturnal works for a group show at Ghostprint Gallery next month. Also in June I will have "Crick" (a large figure with a curious neck position) on display at Visual Arts Center of Richmond's faculty show. I teach a workshop there sometimes, it is a wonderful non-profit that engages the community through all kinds of art classes, they also happen to have the most beautiful exhibition space in the city. Looks and feels like something from Chelsea.

3. Who are your favorite artists?



Dead-right now I can't stop looking at William Bouguereau, his paintings are so sensual and over the top cheesy. I hate angels usually but his are pretty bad ass. Also Gian Lorenzo Bernini, when I look at his sculptures I cannot comprehend how a human can create such grace, they are otherworldly and magical. I have seen some of works in person but sometime soon I want to plan a vacation that revolves around experiencing only his sculptures in their environments.



Alive-So many but I always enjoy walking through a Richard Sera sculpture. Gipi, the Italian comic book guy I love a lot these days. The fantasy artist Jeffrey Alan Love has some of the most haunting and original images that rise above the stereotypical Frank Frazetta norm. I am a big fan of Eric Fischl, I try to rip him off all the time.

4. What's the best advice you ever received about your career choice?



Don't create art for the masses, create art for yourself and find a market that shares your point of view. 


5. Favorite place(s) in your city?



Sandwich place called Garnett's, they have the most charming dining room to sit in and drink beer. Secco, a wine restaurant that has a wonderful geeky and affordable list with top notch plates. Enoteca Sogna is an Italian wine lovers paradise, you can drink decades old Barolo for under a hundred bucks The Broad St. First Fridays art walk is a crazy time when thousands of people have a shared group art experience. I love walking to Fan Video, a real life local video store on the cutest street in the city. Lamplighter Coffee prepares a correct espresso. 

6. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be? 
And while we're at it, what about a different era?



I always imagine myself in SW France someplace near Toulouse or near a coast in central Italy (Ascoli Piceno might be my favorite city there) but I have pretty much for now found my paradise here in Richmond. My wife and I moved here a few years ago after living in NY for a decade. We have a hundred year old row home that overlooks a duck filled lake and is in walking distance to cafe, restaurants, stores, the farmers market. This city is perhaps the prettiest city in the country, a lot of perfectly preserved historic and distinct neighborhoods, beautiful warm weather, a lot of flowers grow here, great art community, river rapids that run through downtown, world class art museum, everyone has a front porch. The only drawback is all the Civil War crap.



I guess the era I would want to live in would be the 1990's. Sure, metal was at an all time musical low (stupid grunge!) but it would be interesting to live again in a time before smart phones and internet. It would be great to still have music stores and coffee shops that you actually go to to talk to real humans.

7. What do you usually mindlessly doodle? (do you have a picture of this?)



Coffee cups, wine bottles, my wife's face.

8 First website you peruse of the day?



Usually the NY Times but I am having a hard time reading the news these days so I usually stop by Wineterroirs.com and geek out.


9. What's the worst movie you've ever seen, but secretly love?



"Under a Tuscan Sun" is a movie I wouldn't want people to know that I have seen more than once.

10. Any pets? Any kids?



A 15 year old cat named Freya who still acts like a kitten, she desperately wants to fight all the neighborhood cats.



Thank you so much, Josh!
To see more of Josh go here

No comments:

Post a Comment