Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Hello there, Christy!

 I met Christy DeHoog Johnson years ago when we both worked at Hallmark.  
She's funny with a dry sense of humor, and I liked her right away.
 
Her patterns, colors, and drawings are always lovely.  
And I admire how she beautifully marries design and abstract with illustration.
 
Enjoy!
  
 
 
1. Name, Astrology sign, and location please.
 
christy dehoog johnson, capricorn, norton shores, michigan
 
 
2. What are you currently working on?
 
I'm doing abstract work on large panels and (recently) canvas. When I need a break from that I do tiny square blocks with funny little animals on them.
 
 
3. Who are your favorite artists?
 
ooooh, let's see. This is the "off the top of my head" list in no particular order: Cy Twombly, Ross Bleckner, Theodore Geisel (Dr. Seuss), David Hockney, Helen Frankenthaler, Charlie Harper.

 
 
4. What's the best advice you ever received about your career choice? 
 
Do what you love and eventually someone somewhere will pay you for it. (my wise, generous and lovely mentor, David Hadlock told me that during my first semester in grad. school at Cal. State Long Beach).
 
 
5. Favorite place(s) in your city? 
 
The quiet beach at the end of my parent's road for zen time in the sun, Hoffmaster State Park for hiking, The Cheese Lady, for excellent cheeses (obviously), Burcos for muy muy yummy tacos.
 
 
 
6. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be? And while we're at it, what about a different era? 
 
Well, there's a Dutch undertaking afoot to send people on a one-way trip to Mars to live there. I find that quite intriguing - but in all seriousness I would probably have to say southern California - that's kind of like living on another planet. And I most definitely enjoy living in our current time. I would never be able to hack it without modern plumbing and microwavable Amy's Enchiladas.
 
 
7. What do you usually mindlessly doodle? (do you have a picture of this?)
 
I mindlessly doodle on my paintings - mostly. I find myself writing bits of text and numbers that don't have particular significance. It's the shape of them, the graphic quality that I obsess over. Certain numbers have more interesting shapes than others, the number 2 for instance and the lower case e - I like the lines that make up those shapes.
 
 
 
8. First website you peruse of the day?
 
Amazon.com for books (which I then try to order from the library), a close second is Thesartorialist.com for current street style fashion.
 
 
9. What's the worst movie you've ever seen, but secretly love? 
 
Friday the 13th. I saw it for the very first time about three years ago. It was on television, heavily edited, lots of commercials and pop-ups. Despite it's campi-ness, I was genuinely terrified when Jason grabbed the girl in the boat at the end. My husband was laughing at me because he thought "everyone" knew about that scene whether they'd seen the movie or not. Not a great movie, but I love that it was still able to get a really good scare out of me.
 
 
10. Any pets? Any kids? 
 
No pets, but lots and lots of plants and two kids, Zella is seven and Gus is six.
 
Find more of Christy's work here
And her blog here
 
Thank you Christy!

No comments:

Post a Comment